Tuesday, June 26, 2001

Schadenfreude Voluntary Simplicity. I've heard about it. I've read about it. I even know about it. People who have oodles of money make a conscious decision to make do with less. They can spend more or have more, but they opt to do with less. Sometimes that means actually buying less. Sometimes it means going with a less fussy (but oftimes more expensive) flower arrangement. The thing about Voluntary Simplicity is that it is indeed voluntary. It's a definite choice.

So, let's review. Making the conscious decision to cut back on your purchases because you can is Voluntary Simplicity. Cutting back on purchases because you can't make them is Poverty.

I'm sure poverty is nasty. I've been exposed on occasion by episodes of COPS. Thankfully, I will never have that problem. Too bad some people chose poverty. I'll bet they're just kicking themselves now.


I totally agree about how if you end up in a particular financial situation that (in 98% of the time) it is because of poor money management. The other 2% of the time is just crappy luck. Things you couldn't forsee happening if you had a crystal ball and you had God on icq.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home